Director: Tom Massey
Associate Director: Roger Gimblett
Set Design: Owen Gimblett
Lighting and Sound Design: Michael Schell
A young woman tragically dies under mysterious circumstances on the eve of her wedding. A low whistle, a heavy metallic clang. No reason for her death is ever discovered.
Her twin sister is distraught but life must go on and her own wedding is approaching. And then late at night, she hears a low whistle in the dark....
This adaptation remains faithful to the original spine tingling short story from Conan Doyle. The atmosphere of the Genesian Theatre will serve to bring the gothic thrill to life in this Australian premiere of a new adaptation from British playwright Max Gee.
If you are unfamiliar with the story you can acquaint yourself at https://sherlock-holm.es/stories/pdf/a4/1-sided/spec.pdf. Our blackmailer Milverton is on loan from another Holmes story: https://sherlock-holm.es/stories/pdf/a4/1-sided/chas.pdf
Auditions will be held by appointment 11am-6pm Sat 3rd February and 11am-4pm Sun 4th February at our rehearsal space unit 2, 13-21 Cadogan street Marrickville. Auditions will be by cold reading of material from the script, however you are also welcome to prepare a short 2-3 min monologue in the style of the late Victorian period if you would like. If needed, callbacks will be held on the weekend of 10th and 11th February at the Marrickville space.
To book an audition please email email@example.com with your headshot, CV, and a preferred audition time.
Rehearsals will take place in Marrickville and will be primarily weekend based. Not all cast will be called for all rehearsals, however during production week 26th March - 6th April you will be needed every evening and all day weekends.
Please note this is a non-paid production.
- Sherlock Holmes (Male, mid-late 20s - a consulting detective)
- Dr John Watson (Male, 40s during frame narrative and late 20s during the tale - Holmes' companion and chronicler)
- Dr Grimesby Roylott (Male, 50s-60s - a retired colonial doctor from an old aristocratic family)
- Helen Stoner (Female 20s - stepdaughter of Dr Roylott, strong character - seeks the assistance of Holmes)
- Julia Stoner/Gypsy Julia (Female, 18-20 - twin sister of Helen, a memory, a ghost?)
- Milverton (Male 40s-50s - a blackmailer, an odious villain)