Each year, over 200 volunteers help bring Melbourne Writers Festival to life. From artist care to venue support, our volunteer roles offer a behind-the-scenes look at delivering a world-class literary and artistic event, and are a fantastic opportunity to build experience and make new friends in the process.
Our volunteers will work in three different teams during the festival
This team will work alongside the MWF Box Office Manager and be trained in the Ferve (eFirst) ticketing system.
Box Office volunteers assist with enquiries and ticket sales over the phone and face-to-face. They make up an important part of the visitor experience, and are often the first people our patrons will interact with. We are looking for friendly, sociable people to make up this team. If you have previous Box Office, ticketing or customer service experience, that is a plus!
Venue support volunteers will manage the queues, scan and check tickets, assist in Q&As, man the information booth, help look after artists and overall act as the welcoming face of the Festival. We are looking for volunteers who are friendly and approachable to join this team!
These volunteers are paramount in giving our guest artists a smooth, comfortable and enjoyable Festival experience, as well as providing invaluable assistance to MWF staff.
We are looking for volunteers who are friendly, sociable, confident and have excellent knowledge of Melbourne. Within the artist care team, volunteers work as:
- Artist Transport Drivers, who assist with transporting our artists to and from their events/hotels/flight arrivals. In particular, we are looking for applicants who will be able to take on driving responsibilities, possessing maturity, attention to detail and adequate driving experience. You must be over 25 years of age to apply for this role.
- Green Room Attendants, who assist with keeping guests comfortable and cared for during the Festival. You’ll need to be confident and keen in working with artists, and committed to ensuring their needs are met before and after their MWF events.
- Artist Care Assistants, who help direct artists to and from their MWF panels and events, ensuring that things run smoothly, and efficiently on the ground during the Festival. You may also accompany drivers, being the main point of contact for guests at the airport.
Volunteers will have free access to all MWF events and will also receive a Festival t-shirt!
We welcome applications from people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and would love to know if you speak a language additional to English. We also welcome applications from people with access requirements and encourage you to tell us your access needs as we have a range of volunteer roles available.
MWF is looking for applicants who possess the following:
- customer service skills
- a friendly and professional manner
- fluency in English
- a willingness to follow directions and work in a team
- a commitment to making our festival a fantastic experience for the public, Festival guests and staff
- experience in, or a willingness to learn about, events and/ or front of house roles within a festival context
- bonus points if you love people, and extra bonus points if you love literature!
If you have any further questions about the role, please feel free to get in touch : email@example.com or apply: https://mwf.com.au/join-us/volunteer/