Musica Viva is proud to present Strike A Chord, the national chamber music championship open to all secondary school students across Australia.
Entries Open: 29 Jan, 2020
Entries Close: 27 August, 2020
Grand Finals: September, 2020
Please read the Rules and Regulations thoroughly before entering Strike A Chord.
- 3 to 8 performers per group
- One player per part, no conductor or adult accompanist
- Any combination of instruments and/or voice
- All performers must be enrolled in a full-time Australian school program (or home-school equivalent)
- Students do not need to be from the same school
- 50% of your group must be secondary school students aged 12 to 18 years old
- 50% of your group may be primary school students aged 12 years or younger
A number of cash and development prizes will be awarded at various stages of the competition. See the full prize list here.
- First Prize $5000
- Second Prize $4000
- Third Prize $2500
- Australian National Academy Of Music Prize: a week’s worth of coaching at the Australian National Academy of Music, including travel costs
HOW TO ENTER
- Read the Rules and Regulations to ensure you meet and understand the competition requirements for entry
- Record your entry videos including your introduction and performance video
- Fill out the entry form and upload your entry videos by no later than 27 August 2020
- Entries will be judged and finalists will be selected and notified
- Finalists will be invited to participate online in the Grand Finals
- Learn more and enter online here.
ROUNDS AND FINALISTS
- First Round - ensembles submit a video recording of their performance and introduction video online
- Final Round - 12 groups, from at least six states/territories, will be selected to participate online in the Grand Finals
HOW TO ENTER
1. Read the Rules and Regulations to ensure you meet and understand requirements for entry
2. Upload a video of your ensemble performing by no later than 21 May 2020
3. Pay the entry fee of $10 per player online when you submit your entry form and video
4. Entries will be judged and finalists selected by 5 June 2020
5. Finalists will be invited to Melbourne to compete in September
Enter online here.
Register your interest for updates and further details as they are announced.
TEACHERS' CONFERENCE WEEKEND
The Strike A Chord Teachers' Conference is designed to complement Strike a Chord – the National Chamber Music Championship by building capacity in the teaching of chamber music at secondary school level. A dynamic combination of panel discussions, hands-on workshops and open coaching sessions will be on offer to teachers at all levels of experience, working with students of varying skill levels. The conference will take place online, so stay tuned for more information.