Small Gems aims to identify, develop and support new performing arts work for small to medium sized venues in metropolitan Melbourne and beyond. Small Gems will commission independent works that are of professional quality, contemporary interest and in the genre of drama, dance, hybrid theatre, circus and ground based physical theatre, to help create new work, support artists with a track record of high quality production output, and contribute positively to the Australian theatre scene.
- Small Gems is looking for artists who have an original production, either an idea or developed work. Please note, preference will be given to works that have not yet had a performance season in Victoria.
- Small Gems will give preference to companies/artists with a history of producing high quality works.
What’s in it for artists?
- Small Gems is a great way to develop and create your production in a supportive environment, with rehearsal space and development time.
- Small Gems will allow you to stage new works in a low-risk way.
- Small Gems will give you access to metropolitan audiences.
- Performance fees are a part of the program. Artists will be properly paid, given rehearsal space and support (as negotiated).
- Small Gems gives you the opportunity to create or further develop a show with guaranteed performance dates.
- Small Gems gives you freedom from government funding timelines.
- Small Gems will utilise shared marketing initiatives with artists and a number of venues to get the best exposure for your show.