“The Australian Theatre Festival New Play Award recognizes a new play with a distinctly Australian voice that is big on ideas and bold in its ambitions.
The award offers a prize of $5,000* for an unproduced, full-length play written by an Australian playwright, over the age of 18. The winning play will be developed with ATF co-artistic director Mark Barford and presented at a staged reading in New York City as part of The Australian Theatre Festival in NYC, May 2020. The ATF New Play Award is generously supported by Andrew J. Martin-Weber.
Before submitting your play, please carefully read the following eligibility details and terms & conditions.
To be eligible plays must
1) Be written by a Playwright who is an Australian citizen, but can be a resident of any country.
2) Not have been previously produced or published.
3) Be at least 90 minutes in length.
4) Not be contracted for a future production.
5) Not have won another Australian playwriting award.
Terms and Conditions
1) The winning Playwright must be available to be in NYC from May 16 - May 25 2020.
2) Due to the large volume of entries, The Australian Theatre Festival - NYC is unable to give feedback.
3) Plays submitted may be original ideas or adaptations from other forms providing that permission to adapt the material has been obtained from the copyright holder. The rights for all material in the work must be secured by the playwright prior to entry including any songs, poems or quotes.
4) The Australian Theatre Festival - NYC has worldwide first right of refusal to produce the winning play for a period of 12 months following the announcement of the winner.
5) A limit of one entry per Playwright.
To submit your entry, please send the following information via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “ATFNYC New Play Award 2020”
1. Your full name, address, phone number and confirmation that your are both over the age of 18 and are an Australian citizen.
2. Attach a PDF version of your play. Please include page numbers. Please label the PDF with the “title of your play”.
3. Attach a separate PDF with a one paragraph synopsis of your play & a character breakdown.
Please label the PDF with the “title of your play_synopsis&characters” In sending us your play, you assure us that you have read the above terms & conditions and eligibility requirements for the ATF New Play Award.
You declare your eligibility under the conditions and your agreement to the terms listed. You guarantee that the script is your original work, that you are the sole copyright holder of all material used and that it has never been produced for public performance.
Submissions for 2020 are due midnight January 31st, 2020. The winner will be announced on March 1st, 2020.
*$5,000 prize = 1) Non residents of New York: a return airfare; one week accommodation in NYC; $2,000 cash; plus development support & a public staged reading OR 2) Residents of New York: a $5,000 cash prize; plus development support & a public staged reading.”