The Musical of Musicals (The Musical!) is a musical about musicals! In this hilarious satire of musical theatre, one story becomes five delightful musicals, each written in the distinctive style of a different master of the form, from Rodgers and Hammerstein to Stephen Sondheim.
The basic plot: June is an ingenue who can’t pay the rent and is threatened by her evil landlord. Will the handsome leading man come to the rescue?
The variations are: a Rodgers & Hammerstein version, set in Kansas in August, complete with a dream ballet; a Sondheim version, featuring the landlord as a tortured artistic genius who slashes the throats of his tenants in revenge for not appreciating his work; a Jerry Herman version, as a splashy star vehicle; an Andrew Lloyd Webber version, a rock musical with themes borrowed from Puccini; and a Kander & Ebb version, set in a speakeasy in Chicago.
We are currently on the hunt for the perfect performers to play the following roles:
- The villain, “Jitter” – Male, the landlord figure of each musical who demands the rent be paid or another form of recompense offered.
- The hero, “Billy” – Male, the leading man and romantic interest who, in the end, valiantly offers to pay the rent, whether he can or not.
- The ingenue, “June” – Female, the leading lady who cannot pay her rent.
- The matron, “Abby” – Female, the older woman to whom June turns for advice, always with the words “Thank you Abby, that was so helpful”.
To submit your audition, please complete the form at citytheatre.com.au
Or send to email@example.com and include a link to an audition video. This video should include you performing as you would on stage to the camera a 16-20 bar snippet from 2x songs, each from a different composer from the list below.
- Rodgers & Hammerstein
- Stephen Sondheim
- Jerry Herman
- Andrew Lloyd Webber
- John Kander & Fred Ebb
Please also provide us your full name, best contact number, which roles you would like to be considered for, which evenings of the week you are available and a short summary of prior theatre experience.
- The first round of auditions is to be submitted by video, any required subsequent auditions will be held in person at an available date.
- Performances will be held at the New York Theatrette in Redfern, (1 minute walk from Redfern station)
- Rehearsals will be held in Marsfield (10 minute walk from Macquarie University station)
- Production week is the 11th-17th of November 2019, you will be required to be at the theatre from 7pm each night and from 3pm on the final Sunday.
- Please note that this is an unpaid production, any and all profits will be reinvested into the show and future productions.
- If you have any questions regarding this casting announcement, please don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org