Passionate about choreography? Driven to develop your own artistic voice? Excited to learn from established dance artists and peers from across dance genres? Then this program is for you.
Dancehouse’s Emerging Choreographers Program (ECP) is a year-long capacity building and professional development initiative. It gives 20 young choreographers from diverse cultural and training backgrounds support to develop the skills required for ongoing self-sustaining artistic enquiry, including the concrete tools needed for creating and administering their work.
Who is this for?
The Emerging Choreographer’s Program is open to Victorian emerging choreographers and dancers from diverse dance training backgrounds interested in developing an ongoing, sustainable choreographic practice – tools, processes and thinking – alongside a community of other artists at similar stages in their careers.
Priority will be given to artists who can or have demonstrated
- the potential for thoughtful, rigorous, inventive and generous approaches to art making
- who take initiative and create opportunities for themselves and others
- who can connect their artistic interests to broader social questions
Whist we accept applications from older artists, priority will be given to artists aged between 21 to 26 or those in the first 5 years of their professional practice.
Artists working in other disciplines are encouraged to apply, provided they can show a history of commitment to embodied and/or choreographic practice.
Groups of artists who have a history of collaborating are encouraged to apply, but they still must apply as individuals.
Dancehouse has provisioned funds to support artists’ accessibility needs. We welcome applications from all people.
What we offer
- Free access to workshops, masterclasses and seminars with iconic local, national or international dance and performance artists
- Opportunities to share your ideas and practice with industry and peers
- An opportunity to curate and/or lead an activity, event or workshop
- Dancehouse Membership
- Regular free space at Dancehouse’s studios
- Mentoring from Dancehouse’s associated artists and Dancehouse staff*
- Networking opportunities with others at similar stages of their careers
*In 2021 participants will be guided by either Dr Priya Srinivasan, Joel Bray, Stephanie Lake or Efren Pamilacan.
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- DISTINCTION or the uniqueness and excellence of an artist’s interests and/or choreographic work
- CAPACITY to operate as part of a group and to contribute to its dynamics
- POTENTIAL of the artist to benefit from this program
- Tuesday October 6 Applications Open
- Thursday November 5 Applications Close
- Tuesday November 24 Decisions Advised
Read more and apply: https://www.dancehouse.com.au/whats-on/ecp-2021/