The West Melbourne Schools Orchestra is looking for a new conductor who is keen to lead the orchestra into a bright and exciting future. This person needs to be fully involved at every level with this fabulous group and help them grow and develop musically. This is a currently a volunteer position but could change in the future.
The orchestra meets every Thursday night from 6.45pm to 8.45pm at Footscray
City College during the school term.
Our ideal candidate:
* Has excellent conducting skills
* Proven rehearsal skills
* In-depth knowledge of classical music and orchestral traditions
* Is experienced in music education (VIT Registration preferred)
* Has a current working with children check
* Good organisation skills
* A desire to work as part of a team (Manager, Assistant Conductor and Committee)
* Loves the idea of assisting kids to develop musically and socially
* To prepare for and conduct rehearsals
* To provide musical leadership
* To select and obtain appropriate music
* Work for continued improvement in standard of performance of the orchestra
* Encourage individual musical improvement and development
* Plan concerts and musical events
* Work with the manager to develop marketing and recruitment strategies
* To attend committee meetings (4 annually)
About the WMSO
Founded in 2016, we aim to provide young musicians in West Melbourne a place to play good music and socialise with other like-minded students outside of the school environment.
We work with the region's directors of music, instrumental teachers and classroom music teachers to enhance the musical education and experience of students in this region. Each student who joins this ensemble must also be performing with their school ensembles wherever it is possible to do so.
We encourage students from as many different schools and types of schools, as we can. The age range is from 11 to 17 and most years we have had the full range of ages. After each concert we have a social activity which is always well supported. The orchestra enjoys a close relationship with the Essendon Symphony Orchestra and is very lucky to have Benjamin Northey as our patron.
Please send a CV and letter exampling your interest to:
The Committee - firstname.lastname@example.org
By Sept 20, 2019