Friends of The Australian Ballet (NSW) is a not-for-profit organisation supporting The Australian Ballet and The Australian Ballet School. We raise funds by selling tickets to a range of events each year, including The Australian Ballet Dress Rehearsals. We aim to make ballet accessible to all and provide our members the fullest opportunity to broaden their appreciation of ballet.
This internship is a great opportunity to gain hands-on experience in marketing, planning and organising events, budget management, and the general operations of a small arts organisation. It will be of particular interest to someone who wants to gain knowledge of, and skills within the arts/not for profit sector.
This is a part time position of 12-16 hours per week, preferably mornings Monday-Thursday. Days and times are flexible and open for discussion. The successful applicant will be expected to attend events outside of these hours, both on weekends and in evenings. The internship is for a minimum of 20 weeks with the possibliity of extension. The position is unpaid although reasonable expenses will be covered.
As an intern, you will provide general support to the small team, both in the office and at events, as well as assisting with general administration of the organisation and its mission. As Friends of The Australian Ballet is run by a small staff, you will be an integral member of the team and will have a genuine effect on the running of the organisation.
Friends of The Australian Ballet is committed to the quality of the internship program we offer. The successful candidate will be provided with genuine learning and development opportunities.
The Events & Marketing Intern will assist and support the Events & Marketing Coordinator and the Administration Coordinator with the administration and management of events and functions, and implementation of marketing strategies. The intern will gain experience in all stages of event management, from initial planning through to completion, as well as experience in creating and delivering marketing campaigns. In addition, the intern will provide general support to the team.
Duties will include:
- Answering the phone and being the first point of contact for the organisation.
- Servicing the FAB Members.
- Assisting with daily administrative duties.
- Responding to incoming enquiries about Friends of The Australian Ballet and our events.
- Use of ticketing/CRM system (Patron Base) and managing ticket sales.
- Securing gifts, raffle prizes, and other sponsorship.
- Assisting with planning, creative execution and running of events.
- Formulating measures for tracking and analysis of events.
- Assisting with the streamlining of event procedures and processes.
- Maintaining communication with supporters, thanking them and providing support.
- Attending monthly Events and Marketing Committee meeting.
- Participating in creative meetings and planning sessions in relation to marketing execution.
- Designing and presenting new social media campaign ideas.
- Assisting with the execution of marketing campaigns.
- Filing and archiving.
- Updating policies and procedures.
- Assisting with day to day financial management.
- Updating and maintaining website.
- You will be working within the organisation’s task manager system with your own log in.
If you have a particular interest in developing skills not directly listed above, please ensure these are highlighted in your cover letter.
- Appreciation of the performing arts, particularly ballet or dance.
- Experience, interest in or commitment to a career in the arts, or interest in or experience of working in the not-for-profit sector.
- Keen interest in events, marketing and operations.
- Highly computer literate; experience in Microsoft Office, social media platforms and email clients; experience with MYOB desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
- Proactive, creative and enthusiastic.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work flexibly and think on your feet, with a positive, ‘can-do’ attitude.
- A social ‘people’ person; you will be expected to attend all events and represent the organisation.
- Ability to pick up the phone, ask for support and be proactive.
- Experience with ticketing systems or custom relationship management systems is desirable but not essential.
To be considered for the internship, please email email@example.com BEFORE submitting an application to request a full Position Description and further details on the process.
Applications will need to include:
- Cover letter addressing the Selection Criteria, no more than 2 A4 pages.
- A current CV, no more than 2 A4 pages, including a link to your LinkedIn profile.
- Responses to the two tasks detailed in the full Position Description (available on request via email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for applications is 5pm on Wednesday 28 August 2019.
Interviews will be held w/c 2 September 2019 with a view to the position starting ASAP.