Open Spaces is a flagship program at the Abbotsford Convent. Our biggest weekend of the year, Open Spaces festival will take place on 9 and 10 November 2019. It is a celebration of the Convent’s spaces and places, showcasing the creative community at the heart of it all. The event features a diverse program of art, design, markets, tours, food, wellbeing and live music. From interactive performances to world beats in our heritage gardens, Open Spaces is our annual exploration of multi-disciplinary arts, diverse cultures, collaboration and place.
Volunteers will assist with a range of tasks across the Open Spaces program, with a key focus on visitor engagement by providing a welcoming environment for all attendees, invigilation across the site and support in delivering participatory activities. The roles will require some assistance with set-up and pack down of spaces, project rooms and outdoor areas.
Through volunteering at Open Spaces, participants will gain experience through playing a vital role at one of Victoria’s most unique arts, cultural and learning precincts by contributing their skills to:
- A major, site-wide festival that showcases a diverse range of programs, artists and art forms.
- A variety of event related roles.
- Supporting and engaging with diverse people from the ACF and wider arts community.
- Front of house including:
- Visitor Information: Welcoming visitors to the festival and provide relevant, informed information on the event and specific activities
- Wayfinding: Providing information to attendees about where to go, amenities, places to eat, and other activities on site.
- Guided walks: Leading guided walks across the precinct’s activated spaces and provide information about these activations.
- Invigilation: Overseeing installations and programs to ensure any specific guidelines are maintained.
- Facilitators: Assisting with workshops including children’s workshops.
- Production Support: Assisting with installation set up and pack-down, and other production tasks as required. (Requires some lifting)
- Artist Liaison: Managing green room and being main point of contact for artists.
- Waste Warrior: Keeping the precinct tidy by picking up rubbish and educating people on waste and sustainability.
- Carpark: Welcome visitors into the carpark, assisting with any queries and issues, helping patrons find car spaces.
Key Selection Criteria
- Welcoming, friendly and personable with excellent verbal communication skills.
- Organised, professional and reliable.
- Enthusiasm and dedication with a can-do attitude.
- Passion for arts and culture.
- Ability to engage and work with a diverse range of people.
- Knowledge of event management and experience assisting with events.
Open Spaces 2019 will be held over the weekend of Saturday 9 November (12pm – 9pm) and Sunday 10 November (12pm – 6pm). Volunteers must commit to a minimum of two shifts in the days prior to the event and/or across the event weekend. You will also need to attend a training session on Tuesday 5 November (6pm – 8pm).
To apply, please fill out an application form via our website.
Applications close Monday 7 October 2019, 9am